Utica looks to turn defense into offense

Sports

Img 4457

Utica's Collin McCullough (right) battles with Brody McDaniel (left) in a drill at a Nov. 18, 2020, boys basketball practice in Utica. | Michael Rich/News

UTICA – The Utica boys basketball team features a lot of familiar names and faces this season. But it’s looking to find new ways to increase its scoring output— namely, on the defensive end.

“Our biggest focal point has been finding ways to score out of our defense,” Utica coach Brian Radabaugh told the Mount Vernon News. “We did not do a good job of that last year. We’re trying to find ways to manufacture some additional points. We’re not necessarily full-court press all the time; but pressuring, contesting passes, being active with our hands so that we can quickly get to the other end and try to get some easier buckets.

“Last year, we had to try to manufacture everything. We’re trying to get more easy buckets out in transition or get into our offense more quickly— try to increase our ability to score that way.”

Utica finished 5-18 overall and 2-11 in the Licking County League, including a one-and-done in the postseason, falling 76-38 to Harvest Prep in the second round of the Division III district tournament.

In the post, Utica will rotate between seniors Sean McCutcheon (6-foot-4) and Jarrett Pfister (6-2) and juniors Seth Cooper (6-2) and Daniel Rudolph (5-10), with junior Jordan Riley (6-1) providing depth.

Sophomore Zack Heckman (5-10), seniors Elijah Larue (6-1) and Collin McCullough (5-8) and juniors Beau Dunlap (5-8) and Owen Storts (5-10) will rotate outside, with sophomore Brody McDaniel (5-10) and freshman Roman Gamble (6-0) providing depth.

McDaniel and Gamble are the only two on this year’s squad who are newcomers to the varsity roster.

“We have everybody returning … so we really think that we have the experience to build on,” McCutcheon said. “We hope to have a good year this year. We really don’t have a season goal at this point. We’re just really focused on getting that first win and just work our way up from there. (We’re focusing on) one game at a time and see what we can do.”

“Last year, we were so young and relatively inexperienced,” Radabaugh said. “It was, really, a developmental year for our group. We always viewed it as a two-year project because we didn’t have any seniors last year. So this year— in these unusual circumstances— we’re hoping we’re now able to lean on experience and lean on a veteran group who can just continue what we started last year and improve.”

Radabaugh is happy with the way his team has handled the extra guidelines that have come with the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It was very eye-opening for everybody last year to sit there and watch spring sports get canceled,” he said. “I think it really raised their awareness. Coaches are always telling their guys, ‘You only have so many years to do this.’ And that was probably the greatest teacher of that (point), because it really hit home with the people that lost a season or saw friends lose a season. So they’re not taking anything for granted now.

“We have a lot of protocols to follow. It’s difficult to manage that. It’s not always easy for the kids. But they understand what’s at stake. So it’s really focused them on making sure that we’re doing everything we can to follow the guidelines and give ourselves the best opportunity to have a season.”

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

MORE NEWS