Mount Vernon News

By Mount Vernon News
January 24, 2014 11:38 am EST


MOUNT VERNON — Child abuse is a phrase that can make any parent shudder, but often it is unclear or difficult to know what to look for if such a situation arises.

Jana Shira, Children Services Administrator at Knox County Department of Job & Family Services, told the News, “anytime (a person may) have any kind of concerns or suspicions about child abuse or neglect, they should contact Children Services or any law enforcement. Don’t assume that the authorities have already been notified. Call anyway; we would rather have two callers regarding the same incident than to find out later that no one called.

As for information any person may have as to a potential or suspected child abuse situation, anyone can make a report.

“There are mandated reporters who are required to report, but even if you have information, or you have a suspicion or a neighbor has a suspicion, or anybody else that you know of may have any kind of concerns — anyone can make that report,” said Shira.

For the rest of the story

The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase a subscription. Click here for the January 24, 2014 e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days.




Contact Emily Weaver

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.