MOUNT VERNON — With the help of a ReHHUP grant (Reinvesting in Historic Homes Update Program) from the Knox County Landmarks Foundation, the Freedom Center was able to complete much-needed exterior renovations that significantly enhanced the appearance of its building at 106 E. Gambier St. The Freedom Center celebrated these improvements to its historic home with a Holiday Open House event in December.
The improvement projects included exterior painting and repairs, updated exterior lighting, and a new front door. The Freedom Center consulted with Neighborhood Design Center on the exterior improvements. The other local project partners included DAB Painting for the exterior repairs and painting services; Charlie Culbertson for the exterior lighting; and the Carpenter’s Sons for the new front entry door.
Executive Director of the Freedom Center Afet Kilinc stated, “The new color scheme for the exterior of the building is aesthetically pleasing and uniquely designed to reflect the mission and colors of our organization for promoting recovery and sobriety.” The new exterior look is well received and enjoyed by the neighbors and community.
After many years of being a private residence, 106 East Gambier served as the American Legion Post and later an eye surgeon’s office until the Freedom Center purchased the building in 1997. According to Historic Knox County Ohio, the property was built in the 1830s and the original owner was Dr. Ebenezer G. Woodward, who lived in the building until 1879.
The building is a striking example of a well-preserved Greek revival house. The center section of the structure imitates a Greek temple with two-story Ionic columns and symmetrical one-story wings.
For additional information about this press release, please contact Afet Kilinc, Executive Director of the Freedom Center at 740-397-2660.