MOUNT VERNON — Free tax preparation assistance is available at United Way of Knox County through the financial stability initiative and new partnership with the IRS. In tax year 2018, United Way tax volunteers assisted 546 clients in filing federal income tax returns using The Ohio Benefit Bank. This year United Way of Knox County will serve as an IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance site to offer similar services to the community.

The United Way of Knox County wants to make life a little easier for workers by alerting them about a special tax credit that can put money in their pockets. The goal is to increase the financial stability of residents by offering this free service and help them claim the Earned Income Credit and Child Care Credit whenever possible. The EITC helps individuals and families with low to moderate income keep more of what they earned. This is money that can be used to purchase necessities and boost savings.

“EITC is a tax benefit for working people and their families and it allows more dollars to flow into our community. It’s money workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills,” said Kelly Brenneman, executive director of United Way of Knox County. “We want workers who may qualify for EITC to have all the information they need to get the EITC and get it right.”

The amount of EITC varies by income, family size and your filing status. If you qualify for EITC, you must file a tax return, even if you have no tax to pay, to claim the credit. Workers who made less than $55,952 should see if they qualify for EITC.

United Way’s IRS-certified volunteers can assist. They will ask needed questions to find out if you qualify for the EITC and other refundable credits. They also prepare and e-file (file electronically) your return at no cost to you. To set up an appointment, phone 740-397-5721, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. United Way offers evening and Saturday appointments on a first call, first serve basis.

Bring the following to make sure our volunteers get you the right amount of credit you earned.

•A valid driver’s license or other photo ID card.

•Social security cards, a social security number verification letter for all persons listed on the return.

•Birth dates for all persons listed on return.

•All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld.

•All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest or real estate taxes.

•Copies of last year’s state and federal tax returns.

•Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund.

•Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number.

•Both spouses to sign forms to e-file a joint tax return.


Mount Vernon News: 740-397-5333 or and on Twitter, @mountvernonnews



Next Story