Fred Main/News Danville’s Alex Holt fights his way through traffic during the Blue Devils’ game with Fredericktown on Friday. The Devils rolled to a 42-7 victory.

Fred Main/Mount Vernon News

Danville’s Alex Holt fights his way through traffic during the Blue Devils’ game with Fredericktown on Friday. The Devils rolled to a 42-7 victory. Request this photo


View More Photos

FREDERICKTOWN — The Danville-Fredericktown feud continued as the Blue Devils spoiled homecoming for the Freddies on Friday night, 42-7.

“It’s Danville versus Fredericktown. This is a big county rivalry that’s been going on for over a hundred years,” said Danville coach Ed Honabarger. “It’s always a big game no matter what the records are. They want to beat us, we want to beat them. We are happy to get out of here with a victory.”

The Devil victory started with a touchdown pass from Charlie Cook to Alex Holt. The touchdown pass was 48 yards and occurred with 2:56 left in the first quarter. The Blue Devils were able to accomplish this score in spite of two offside penalties.

The second score for the Blue Devils came from the other team in the form of a safety. A high Freddie snap went into their end-zone from the seven-yard line for two easy points for the Blue Devils.

In the second quarter, Alex Holt scored a 23-yard touchdown off of a run with 11:17 left in the second quarter. After this, it was Langdon Johnson who scored three consecutive touchdowns for the Danville Blue Devils — one with 6:51 left to go in the second quarter, one with 2:24 seconds to go in the second quarter (both were five-yard touchdown runs) and an incredible 87-yard touchdown run with 5:29 left in the third quarter. The score was 36-0 (with a missed extra point after the last of the three Johnson touchdowns), with Danville’s commanding lead not being even remotely challenged.

The only Freddie touchdown came in the third quarter. It was a pick-six with 1:07 left in the quarter. The 20-yard interception run for a touchdown was done by Terry Fearn of the Freddies.

The Freddie interception was followed by a Johnson interception for the Devils with 4:50 left to go in the fourth quarter. This led to the last touchdown of the game in which Nathan Butts scored on a 35-yard run with 3:27 left in the game. The Butts touchdown was so powerful that he carried a couple of defenders with him into the end zone.

After the game the Freddies were in the mind-set of rebuilding their team and finding a way to improve their game.

“I talked to our guys a little bit, we have to work to battle through adversity and find a way to put negative plays behind us and don’t allow it to effect us,” said Coach Beau Wolford. “We just have to work to get better. We just have to work to get there. We have to work on correcting those small mistakes that we’ve been making over and over again. At the end of the day we have to get better.”

The Blue Devils were thrilled to win against their rivals and get their second win of the year, which, to them, means objective signs of team improvement.

“This win feels good,” said Honabarger. “We’ve been struggling, obviously. We got the monkey off our back against Cardington (in terms of the team getting their first win that week). It’s good to keep things rolling and have us playing well and we’ve gotten better in the past two weeks. We’ll try to continue that. We just have to keep working.”

The rest of this article is available to our subscribers.

Do your part to support local journalism
Subscribe to our e-edition to read this and many other articles written by your neighbors.

Already a subscriber? Log in



Cody Strawser: 740-397-5333 or and on Twitter, @mountvernonnews