SPARTA — The Highland Fighting Scot girl’s soccer team were so close to winning their Wednesday night game against the River Valley Vikings, but it ended in a 1-1 tie.

A tie was a disappointing way for the game to end for the Scots, especially with how well they dominated the game in terms of ball possession.

There were no goals in the first half, but the Highland girls showed how adept they were at ball control and keeping the ball on the opponent’s side of the field where they could get some really good shots in.

The first and only goal scored by the Scots came in the second half at minute 16:35 and was kicked by Jada Mullins, a sophomore for the Scots.

The Scots were good at possessing the ball through-out the game and limited the opposing team to fewer shots on goal than what the Scots ended up having.

“I was really happy with our effort,” said Highland head coach Mike Delaney. “We had an unfortunate penalty at the end that led to them having a PK, but overall I was very pleased.”

The penalty kick that Delaney is referring to happened at minute 4:20 of the game and effectively tied the game at 1-1 late in the second half.

The penalty that led to a score was a single blemish on an otherwise very well-played game by the Scots.

“I think the girls are improving,” Delaney said. “They are working very hard. They are being unselfish and I think they are having fun. Our saying is that ‘It doesn’t matter; you have to get better.’ Every day you are either getting better or getting worse. Right now I really feel like we are on an upward trend.”

The Highland Fighting Scots play their next game Sept. 17 against Shelby. The game is an away game and starts at 5 p.m.

The rest of this article is available to our subscribers.

Do your part to support local journalism
Subscribe to our e-edition to read this and many other articles written by your neighbors.

Already a subscriber? Log in



Cody Strawser: 740-397-5333 or and on Twitter, @mountvernonnews



Previous Story

Next Story