CENTERBURG — Classes may be coming to an end, but don’t expect the parking lots to be empty at Centerburg schools this summer. The Centerburg Board of Education approved numerous improvement projects at its Monday meeting.

Superintendent Mike Hebenthal said the total cost of the renovations is around $250,000. He hopes to see all projects completed by Aug. 1.

“We’re trying to catch up on things we’ve put off for a while.” said Treasurer Ellen Scott. “Our ‘new’ high school is 18 years old now.”

A key concern is the high school parking lot, which Hebenthal said has “completely deteriorated” because of water underneath the pavement.

The school board elected to remove the existing parking lot, install a tile drainage system and then resurface the lot. These repairs will cost approximately $76,000.

The board also accepted a $34,910 quote from MQS Structures for a track storage facility.

Bebout Masonry will replace and repair the steps at the administration/preschool and elementary building as well as the sidewalks and main entrance at the middle and high school.

Additional projects include replacing a boiler at the administration/preschool building, repairing and upgrading the HVAC system at the middle and high school building, patching and sealing the wellness center parking lot, conducting drainage repair at the football stadium, repairing the band room doors and undergoing a routine preventative HVAC maintenance program.

Other agenda items included the approval of the district’s five year forecast.

“It’s not as rosy as it has been in the last couple years, but we’ll be all right,” said Hebenthal. “We’re still waiting on the state budget…We don’t expect there to be any increase in state funding in the next two years.”

Scott said the district is in good financial health and will maintain a positive balance for the next five years, but noted that the state’s upcoming budget could have a long-term impact on finances.

“Sixty five percent of our income comes from the state budget,” she said. “Five years out can’t be anything (we) accurately gauge right now.”

Nevertheless, Scott said the district is in good shape and will maintain a positive balance for the next five years, even while planning more capital improvements.

The board extended its congratulations to the staff of the student newspaper, the Trojan Crier, and advisor Karen Allen. The staff received numerous individual accolades and was recognized as All-Ohio School Newspaper by the Ohio Scholastic Media Association for the 2018-2019 school year.

The board also approved:

•A revised five-year forecast for the district.

•Donations from Your Case ($270) and Chris and Susan Cordle ($2,500), the latter of which will go towards personal finance classes.

•The 2019 graduation list.

•Various policy updates in accordance with state law.

•Participation in the Federal School Lunch Program for the upcoming school year with the reduced punch price of 40 cents.

•A one-year food service management contract with the Nutrition Group, Inc. for the 2019-20 school year.

Katie Ellington: 740-397-5333 or katie@mountvernonnews.com and on Twitter, @kt_ellington

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.