MOUNT VERNON — Smoke inhaled from an oxygen explosion is believed to have caused the death of a Mount Vernon woman, according to preliminary autopsy results.

Sondra Waddell died from “soot and smoke inhalation,” according to Knox County Coroner Dr. Jennifer Ogle. Ogle said no additional information is available.

Waddell was found inside a 1500 block Yauger Road apartment Sunday. The Ohio Fire Marshal reported Monday that the fire was caused after home medical oxygen was ignited by smoking in the apartment.

Waddell’s name was obtained by the News through a reference in Mount Vernon Police reports to her driver’s license being collected at the scene of the fire. The Mount Vernon Fire Department and the Ohio Fire Marshal’s office declined to release a name.

Initial reports from MVFD Monday stated that a “civilian casualty” had occured in the fire.

The fire was reported by a neighbor, who heard a loud noise and smelled smoke.

The fire is under investigation by MVFD and the fire marshal.

 

Nick Sabo: 740-397-5333 or nsabo@mountvernonnews.com and on Twitter, @mountvernonnews

 

 

 

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.