HOWARD — A Union Township residence was badly damaged in a Monday morning fire.

The fire, at a home in the 27000 block of Coshocton Road, destroyed the roof and caused damage throughout the structure, Eastern Knox County Joint Fire District Capt. Brian Durbin said.

The fire is under investigation, but is believed to have started in a chimney, Durbin said.

The fire was paged out at 12:36 a.m., with the first units arriving about 10 minutes later, according to Knox County 911 reports. Durbin said flames and smoke were showing from the eaves of the home on arrival. Wind fanned the flames, pushing the fire through the roof, Durbin said.

Firefighters made both an exterior and interior attack on the fire. Inside the home, firefighters opened up the ceiling to get at the fire in a roughly 10-inch space under the roof between the joists, Durbin said.

Units were on scene until 4:30 a.m.

One person was at home at the time of the fire, who made it safely out of the house, Durbin said. Family pets were also able to get out safely.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family, Durbin said.

Mutual aid was provided by Bladensburg, College Township, Monroe Township and Walhonding Fire, Durbin said.

 

Nick Sabo: 740-397-5333 or nsabo@mountvernonnews.com and on Twitter, @mountvernonnews

 

 

 

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.