Joshua Morrison/Mount Vernon News

A fire started in the garage of a Highland Court home, owned by Thomas and Linda Callahan, Wednesday and spread through the house. Residents were not home, but a dog did perish in the fire. At the time of the fire, the Knox County 911 system was down for an update, as calls were routed through Morrow County 911. A dozen calls to 911 were reported, with callers identifying the smoke and small bangs, possibly ammunition. Sparks and pops from a downed power line occurred near the garage. Crews from Mount Vernon, College-Monroe and Fredericktown responded and were on the scene for two hours. The fire remains under investigation.

* * *

Press Release From the Mount Vernon Fire Department

On Wednesday, November 14 at 11:57 am, the Mount Vernon Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 3 Highland Court in Mount Vernon. MVFD responded with a Captain, EMS Coordinator, two Engines, and a Medic. Mutual aid for this incident was one Medic from Fredericktown EMS, one Engine from Fredericktown Fire, and one Engine from College/Monroe Fire/EMS.

The first arriving Mount Vernon units found fire venting from the attached garage and heavy smoke conditions throughout the entire structure. An immediate fire attack was made on the main body of fire in the garage along with a second hose line deployed into the home to extinguish fire extension. No one was home at the time of the incident. There were no reports of civilian or firefighter injuries during the incident.

The State Fire Marshal was contacted to assist with the investigation of this fire. The Red Cross did come to the scene to assist the residents.


Joshua Morrison: 740-397-5333 or and on Twitter, @mvn_JMorrison




Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.