GAMBIER — The No. 10-ranked Kenyon College men’s soccer team rallied Sunday for an improbable 2-1 overtime victory against the No. 11-ranked Carnegie Mellon University Tartans in the second round of the NCAA Division III Tournament at Mavec Field.

Facing a 1-0 deficit and rapidly approaching what could have been the end of their season, the Lords staged a dramatic finish that included the game-tying goal with just 34 seconds left in regulation and then the game-winning goal with just 1:12 left in the first overtime period.

As regulation was nearing an end, Kenyon earned a corner kick. Senior Greg McNeer kicked it into play with about 43 seconds showing on the clock. The ball rattled around the box for a bit until senior Keven Duan gained possession. He then flicked a short pass over to Sam Carson, who booted it past Carnegie Mellon goalkeeper Alec Lam. The goal was the fourth of the season for Carson, a freshman.

Just like that, momentum swayed and remained with the Kenyon side. When the teams went into overtime, Kenyon controlled the extra session, outshooting the Tartans, 5-0.

The last of those five shots came off the head of sophomore Sam Hosmer-Quint. As Kenyon continued to pressure the Tartans, junior Max Taylor lofted a pass from just outside the left post. The pass ended up at the right post, where Hosmer-Quint headed it home. It was his second goal of the season, as well as his first game-winner.

Overall, Kenyon outshot Carnegie 17-5 and posted a big 7-1 advantage in corners.

After a scoreless first half that saw very few scoring opportunities, Carnegie Mellon opened the second half with a quick goal at the 49:31 mark. In a similar fashion to Kenyon’s game-winner, the Tartans worked the ball near the left end line. Nick Isham delivered a crossing pass from there. Teammate Elliot Cohen charged toward the center of the goal and managed to steer Isham’s pass over the Kenyon goal line.

Following that goal, Carnegie Mellon managed just two shots the rest of the way.

The loss eliminated the Tartans from the tournament and finalized their 2018 season record at 11-5-3.

Kenyon, now a winner of seven straight, improved to 18-1-2 and advanced to third-round tournament action to battle No. 19-ranked Case Western Reserve University, the only team to defeat the Lords this season. The date and location of the third-round game will be determined following the conclusion of all second-round games.



Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.