SPARTA — It didn’t take long for Highland to show its dominance over Fredericktown Friday. In fact, it took just 14 seconds.

Brock Veley took the opening kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown and the Scots scored 30 points in the first quarter en route to a 44-7 victory over visiting Fredericktown.

Fred Main/News Highland running back Jack Weaver (36) fights through the tackle attempt of Fredericktown’s Mason Finnell (7) during their Knox-Morrow Athletic Conference football game Friday at Highland. The Scots rolled to a 44-7 victory.
Fred Main/News Highland’s Tate Tobin pulls away from Fredericktown defender Jake Partington (3) and went on to score as the Scots ran away from the Freddies, 44-7.

“Our goal was to get off to a quick start. We did a pretty good job of that,” said Highland coach Chad Carpenter. “We looked explosive, finally. We showed our team speed and played physical. It was good to see.”

The Scots’ (6-1 overall, 4-0 Knox-Morrow Athletic Conference) points explosion in the first quarter continued on a 2-yard run by Tate Tobin and on 22-yard and 19-yard scoring runs by Brody Matthews. The second Matthews’ score came after Fredericktown muffed the kickoff, giving the Scots the ball at their 40-yard line.

Highland scored on long drives and short drives, but mainly were set up by a defense that limited Fredericktown (1-6, 1-3) to minus 1 yard of offense in the first quarter.

“We need to do a better job of getting started on the right foot,” said Fredericktown coach Beau Wolford. “We’re waiting on big things to happen. We need to make those big things happen to give ourselves a chance.

“I thought they (Highland) really controlled the line of scrimmage, both offensively and defensively. At the end of the day, in any football game, the team that controls the line of scrimmage is the team that usually wins.”

An interception by Ian Taylor helped the Scots set up Matthews’ third touchdown of the game. Then, Tobin steamrolled the Freddies on the next drive on a 29-yard touchdown run to put the game out of reach at 44-0.

The Freddies’ lone highlight of the night was a 40-yard run by Terry Fearn on the first drive of the second half.

Fredericktown tried to drive again on its next possession, but, the Scots’ second-string defense tightened up and forced a fumble when Caden Holtrey sacked Fearn. Josh Reid recovered the ball and the Freddies didn’t threaten again.

“I thought our JV came in and did a really good job,” Carpenter said. “They practice hard each week and it was nice to get them in and get that exposure.”

The Scots racked up 258 yards rushing offensively, spreading it around to 12 different backs. Matthews led the way with 99 yards on 11 carries. Tobin added 45 yards on just four carries, while Jack Weaver had 41 yards on six totes. Veley and Jon Jensen both checked in with 29 yards rushing.

Highland quarterback Ian Taylor threw just five passes, but he connected on four of them for 68 yards. Veley caught two for 31 yards, while Isaiah Stoneburner had one for 28 yards and Jarin Vasquez had one for nine yards.

Fearn rushed 11 times for 53 yards to lead the Freddies. He also completed 5 of 15 passes for 51 yards. Jack Fitzpatrick rushed for 25 yards on 12 carries and caught one pass for 17 yards. Jake Partington caught one pass for 23 yards and Kailin Horlacher caught two for 10 yards.

Both teams return to KMAC action next Friday. Highland travels to Cardington, while Fredericktown will entertain East Knox.


Fred Main: 740-397-5333 or and on Twitter, @mountvernonnews




Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.