ONTARIO — After watching a three-score lead disappear, the Highland football team kicked it up a notch Friday.

The Scots (1-1) led 18-0 over host Ontario early in the second quarter, but watched as the Warriors ran off 16 straight points to close the gap. The Warriors scored on two straight plays — the last play of the first half (a 21-yard field goal by Spencer Hall) and the first play of the second half (a 96-yard kickoff return by Owen Hatfield).

But, the Scots were able to settle things down and proceeded to score the next 29 points to pull away for the victory.

Tate Tobin got things going with a 1-yard smash with seven minutes left in the third quarter. Quarterback Ian Taylor followed that up with a 14-yard jaunt, and then Tobin was back in action, this time going 47 yards to the house. Brody Matthews capped off the scoring with a 2-yard run with less than a minute left in the game.

Highland followed its vaunted running game to the victory, rushing for 369 yards on 64 carries. Both Jack Weaver (12 carries, 121 yards) and Tobin (9 carries, 116 yards) were able to crack the century mark on the ground. Matthews added 63 yards and Brock Veley had 59.

Taylor connected on 5 of 11 passes on the night for 60 yards and a touchdown. Isaiah Stoneburner caught the TD, as well as another pass. Veley caught two passes for 29 yards and Weaver the caught the other for 18 yards.

Veley also got in the scoring action from the defensive side, as he scored on an interception return that put the Scots up two scores early.

Hatfield was the lone bright spot for the Warriors offensively, catching five passes for 87 yards and also scoring the TD on the kickoff return.

The Scots will return home next Friday, hosting River Valley.



Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.