MOUNT VERNON — A small fire broke out at Mount Vernon High School on Thursday, due to an unexpected malfunction with an outlet in a classroom on the second floor. This fire resulted in the school being evacuated for 17 minutes.

The outlet was found in room 221, according to Superintendent Bill Seder. Seder explained that a teacher noticed a “hot smell” and alerted the administration. There were no classes going on in the room at the time.

It was originally thought to be a light, but it was discovered to be an electrical outlet. The administration called the Mount Vernon Fire Department as a safety precaution.

 

Allison Glass: 740-397-5333 or allison@mountvernonnews.com and on Twitter, @

 

 

Next Story

 

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.