MOUNT VERNON — Most things are a tad ragged after 107 years of use, but Mount Vernon’s 1907-vintage Cleveland, Akron & Columbus Railroad Depot is looking good as new. A $350,000 renovation of the South Main Street landmark is nearing completion and will enhance both form and function. On May 2, a dedication ceremony will add the depot and its eight-acre land parcel to Ariel-Foundation Park.
The CA&C Depot will serve as a recreation and information hub at the busy convergence of the park, downtown Mount Vernon, the Heart of Ohio Trail and the Kokosing Gap Trail. The brick structure will house offices of the Knox County Park District and Mount Vernon Parks Department, and the spacious main hall will be known as the William Stroud Welcome Center. Stroud was a longtime First-Knox National Bank executive, decorated Army aviator and tireless advocate for public green space. He passed away in 2011 at age 90, leaving a noteworthy legacy of service.
For the rest of the story
The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase a subscription. Click here for the January 31, 2014 e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days.
Contact Bill AmickEmail
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.