MOUNT VERNON — The city is still waiting for a report from the Bureau of Criminal Investigation of the actions of Police Chief Mike Merrilees and Sgt. Kit Morgan.
The investigation is in regards to Morgan’s purchase of a Jeep that had been impounded, and his and the chief’s actions related to the purchase and resale of city parking meters.
The pair were placed on paid administrative leave while the issues were investigated by BCI.
“We are disappointed this is taking so long,” Mayor Richard Mavis said. He added that the situation had been discussed with Law Director Chip McConville, who advised them to wait until the report comes in and they have the full details to decide what, if any, disciplinary actions are warranted.
On the other pending issue involving the police department, that being the arbitrator’s consideration of the appeal by former Sgt. Mark Perkins of a disciplinary action taken against him and his subsequent dismissal from the force, Safety/Service Director Dave Glass said it would probably be mid-December before a ruling is issued.
Glass said the second hearing, this one for Perkins to present his case to the arbitrator, was just held the first week of October, and briefs from each side are due by Nov. 15.
For the rest of the story
The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase a subscription. Click here for the October 12, 2013 e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days.
- Police Captain George Hartz
- Police Chief Mike Merrilees
- Sgt. Robert “Kit” Morgan
- Mount Vernon Police officer sues chief, city for discrimination April 19, 2013
- Perkins fired from MVPD April 22, 2013
- News investigation uncovers ‘fishy’ deal May 24, 2013
- Motorcycle debate causes rift with Mount Vernon Police Department May 30, 2013
- City policy protects whistleblowers June 3, 2013
- BCI investigating MVPD chief, sergeant June 10, 2013
- Storage, scrap sale add to MVPD woes June 11, 2013
- Merrilees’ evaluations unimpressive June 12, 2013
- Morgan qualified, respected June 13, 2013
- No felony cases for MVPD detective June 19, 2013
- City officials get training in records retention June 28, 2013
- Tapes tell tale of MVPD deals July 1, 2013
- Officer: It’s ‘miserable’ at MVPD July 9, 2013
- Same test given for captain, chief July 10, 2013
- City denies claims in Perkins lawsuit July 12, 2013
- Merrilees, Morgan placed on leave July 13, 2013
- Retired officers concerned about future of MVPD July 15, 2013
- Acting police chief Hartz suspended August 19, 2013
- Details emerge in suspension August 21, 2013
- Perkins questions validity of physical request September 3, 2013
- Accounts of alleged altercation differ September 4, 2013
- Mark Perkins: I want my job back September 5, 2013
- Mount Vernon Police Department files released months after request September 6, 2013
- Perkins’ evaluations show good, bad sides September 6, 2013
- City waits while BCI investigates October 12, 2013
- Twitter talk sparks 9-1-1 policy changes October 18, 2013
- City embarrassed by length of investigation November 16, 2013
- Lawsuit filed against MVPD officers November 20, 2013
Contact Chuck MartinEmail
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.