MOUNT VERNON — The news out of City Hall this week is that several projects are moving toward completion and the arbitration hearing on two grievances filed by fired Mount Vernon Police Sgt. Mark Perkins began Tuesday.
Safety-Service Director Dave Glass said Perkins filed grievances over a five-day suspension he received in January and his firing in June. The city agreed to combine them in one arbitration hearing.
Tuesday’s session was taken up mostly by the arbitrator taking depositions from the principals involved. The hearing will reconvene on Oct. 1, Glass said. He expects it will then be six to eight weeks before a ruling is received from the arbitrator.
The arbitrator was mutually agreed upon by both parties selecting from a list provided by the Federal Mediation and Arbitration Board.
For the rest of the story
The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase a subscription. Click here for the September 21, 2013 e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days.
- Police Captain George Hartz
- Police Chief Mike Merrilees
- Sgt. Robert “Kit” Morgan
- Mount Vernon Police officer sues chief, city for discrimination April 19, 2013
- Perkins fired from MVPD April 22, 2013
- News investigation uncovers ‘fishy’ deal May 24, 2013
- Motorcycle debate causes rift with Mount Vernon Police Department May 30, 2013
- City policy protects whistleblowers June 3, 2013
- BCI investigating MVPD chief, sergeant June 10, 2013
- Storage, scrap sale add to MVPD woes June 11, 2013
- Merrilees’ evaluations unimpressive June 12, 2013
- Morgan qualified, respected June 13, 2013
- No felony cases for MVPD detective June 19, 2013
- City officials get training in records retention June 28, 2013
- Tapes tell tale of MVPD deals July 1, 2013
- Officer: It’s ‘miserable’ at MVPD July 9, 2013
- Same test given for captain, chief July 10, 2013
- City denies claims in Perkins lawsuit July 12, 2013
- Merrilees, Morgan placed on leave July 13, 2013
- Retired officers concerned about future of MVPD July 15, 2013
- Acting police chief Hartz suspended August 19, 2013
- Details emerge in suspension August 21, 2013
- Perkins questions validity of physical request September 3, 2013
- Accounts of alleged altercation differ September 4, 2013
- Mark Perkins: I want my job back September 5, 2013
- Mount Vernon Police Department files released months after request September 6, 2013
- Perkins’ evaluations show good, bad sides September 6, 2013
- City waits while BCI investigates October 12, 2013
- Twitter talk sparks 9-1-1 policy changes October 18, 2013
- City embarrassed by length of investigation November 16, 2013
- Lawsuit filed against MVPD officers November 20, 2013
Contact Chuck MartinEmail
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.