By CHUCK MARTIN
News Staff Reporter
MOUNT VERNON — City Police Chief Mike Merrilees’ retirement, effective last Friday and announced Thursday by Mayor Richard Mavis, puts and end to only part of the issues hanging over the Police Department.
The settlement of Andrew Barber’s suit against the city, Merrilees and Sgt. Robert “Kit” Morgan was announced Wednesday and the arbitrator’s ruling in Sgt. Mark Perkins’ appeal of his firing was also received Thursday.
That leaves only possible disciplinary action against Morgan and the Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s report on its examination of Merrilees’ and Morgan’s actions still unresolved.
The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase a subscription. Click here for the December 13, 2013 e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days.
- Mount Vernon Police officer sues chief, city for discrimination April 19, 2013
- Perkins fired from MVPD April 22, 2013
- News investigation uncovers ‘fishy’ deal May 24, 2013
- Motorcycle debate causes rift with Mount Vernon Police Department May 30, 2013
- City policy protects whistleblowers June 3, 2013
- BCI investigating MVPD chief, sergeant June 10, 2013
- Storage, scrap sale add to MVPD woes June 11, 2013
- Merrilees’ evaluations unimpressive June 12, 2013
- Morgan qualified, respected June 13, 2013
- No felony cases for MVPD detective June 19, 2013
- City officials get training in records retention June 28, 2013
- Tapes tell tale of MVPD deals July 1, 2013
- Officer: It’s ‘miserable’ at MVPD July 9, 2013
- Same test given for captain, chief July 10, 2013
- City denies claims in Perkins lawsuit July 12, 2013
- Merrilees, Morgan placed on leave July 13, 2013
- Retired officers concerned about future of MVPD July 15, 2013
- Acting police chief Hartz suspended August 19, 2013
- Details emerge in suspension August 21, 2013
- Perkins questions validity of physical request September 3, 2013
- Accounts of alleged altercation differ September 4, 2013
- Mark Perkins: I want my job back September 5, 2013
- Mount Vernon Police Department files released months after request September 6, 2013
- Perkins’ evaluations show good, bad sides September 6, 2013
- City waits while BCI investigates October 12, 2013
- Twitter talk sparks 9-1-1 policy changes October 18, 2013
- City embarrassed by length of investigation November 16, 2013
- Lawsuit filed against MVPD officers November 20, 2013
- Morgan to fight lawsuit November 21, 2013
- Lawsuit should not affect discipline November 23, 2013
- MVPD still in limbo; discipline delayed November 30, 2013
- Lawsuit against city settled; city accepts no wrongdoing December 12, 2013
- Mount Vernon police chief retires December 12, 2013
Comments are closed.