Joshua Morrison/News Local artist Bentley Boyd sketches for his next comic book about Abraham Lincoln. He will be at Paragraphs Bookstore on Saturday, Feb. 17, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Joshua Morrison/Mount Vernon News

Local artist Bentley Boyd sketches for his next comic book about Abraham Lincoln. He will be at Paragraphs Bookstore on Saturday, Feb. 17, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Request this photo

MOUNT VERNON — Bentley Boyd grew up like a lot of young boys, loving to draw. He loved to draw powerful and popular characters, like the superheroes Batman and Superman. However, he absolutely hated the monotony of drawing skyscrapers. “Too many windows,” he explained. So he turned his attention to real-life superheroes, historic and political icons.

Boyd grew up in Knox County, raised by his parents Donald and Joyce Hite, both of whom were teachers. His father was a professor of Studio Art at Kenyon.

“I’ve been drawing for as long as I can remember,” Boyd said.

He began his career of political cartoons while he attended Harvard University. He drew political cartoons five days a week for the school newspaper, The Crimson. After Harvard, Boyd worked in Mansfield before settling down in Newport News, Virginia, and working as a reporter and political cartoonist at the Daily Press newspaper.

The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase an e-edition. Login to the e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days. Try the demo

Allison Glass: 740-397-5333 or allison@mountvernonnews.com and on Twitter, @

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.