MOUNT VERNON — The Episcopal Diocese of Ohio is celebrating its 200th anniversary, and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church has joined in that celebration.
St. Paul’s was officially established in 1829, with Hosmer Curtis, the “Father of Knox County” and Samuel Mott, the first mayor of Mount Vernon, playing a key role.
The parish house, located at 100 E. High St., is the current home of a series of banners covering decades from when the diocese was formed. They detail the history of the diocese and the local parish, which is closely tied to the history of Ohio and Knox County. Notable members included the Curtis, Delano, Ringwalt, Cooper, Lynde, Lorey and Kahrl families. Daniel Emmett’s parents also belonged to the church.
The rest of this article is available to Mount Vernon News subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or purchase an e-edition. Login to the e-edition. The article will only be available for thirty (30) days. Try the demo