MOUNT VERNON — Mount Vernon Police have found no evidence of arson in a March 6 fatal fire.
MVPD Detective J.T. Dechant said Monday that samples from a house fire at 3 N. Harrison St. sent to the State Fire Marshal for testing turned up no traces of accelerants. The samples were taken from the floor of the home, from clothing and other items, Dechant said.
Shelly Hager, 56, died in the fire. Her daughter, who was also home at the time, fled from the fire on foot and turned up at a Curtis Street residence about a mile away.
Dechant said there is no indication of wrong-doing by the daughter at this time.
Hager was found by firefighters on the second floor of the residence. Cause of death was carbon monoxide inhalation, according to findings in a preliminary autopsy report.
Investigation into the fire remains ongoing, Dechant said.